- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 thin strips orange rind
- 1 thin strip lemon rind
- 1 vanilla bean halved lengthways
- 375 ml bottle red wine
- 500 g Paradise pears pealed
Combine red wine, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, orange rind, lemon rind and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
Add the pears and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Cover with a cartouche (see notes) and continue to simmer for approximately 30 minutes, until the pears are tender.
Pack the pears into a warm, sterilised glass jar, cover with the liquid and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Serve with your favourite cheese for a cheese course, or alternatively serve with creme anglaise, double cream or ice cream as a dessert.
- Cartouche – For a cartouche, simply cut a circle of parchment/baking paper slightly larger than the dimension of your pot, scrunch it up and place under running cold water to dampen and soften it. Flatten it and then place it onto the liquid surface of a casserole, soup, stock or sauce. This slows down the evaporation, prevents a skin from forming and helps to keep the ingredients submerged, as well as moist.