Smoked Trout & Apple Salad
This salad was created for a light luncheon to be shared with friends on the terrace. Its so simple and quick to prepare.
Category: Entree, Fish & Seafood, Light Meal, Salad
Quantity: 4 serves
- 1 smoked trout
- 1 1/2 pink lady apples
- 2 tbsp good quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp horseradish mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon verbena or finely chopped fresh dill for serving
In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, horseradish mustard. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Wash and core the apples. Cut into matchstick size julienne, add to the dressing and toss to coat.
Remove the skin from the smoked trout and carefully lift the flesh from the bones, ensuring that you remove as many of the fine bones as possible, without breaking up the flesh too much. Add the flesh to the dressed apple, and using your hands, carefully toss to combine.
Place the salad into a serving dish, or onto individual plates and garnish with lemon verbena or dill and serve chilled.
Serve with bruschetta style croutons.
- When tasting the dressing, keep in mind that the apples will provides some sweetness to the salad and fish will provide saltiness.
- I made the croutons using slices of homemade gluten free baguette brushed with olive oil and cooked on a griddle pan.