Apricot and Lavender Jam
1 hr 5 mins
Evoking beautiful memories of our stay at La Cascade de Saintonge
Keyword: Apricot and Lavender Jam, Apricots, Jam, Lavender
Quantity: 1 litre (approx)
- 1 kg apricots
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 kg sugar
- 8 sprigs of dried lavender
Wash and halve the apricots and remove and discard the kernels.
Chop the apricots, coarsely.
Remove the little lavender flowers from the stalks, and discard the stalks.
Combine apricots, lavender flowers, water and lemon juice in a large heavy based pan.
Bring to the boil and cook gently, covered for 10 minutes, until the fruit is tender.
Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
Bring to the boil and boil rapidly, uncovered until setting point is reached.
Remove from heat and allow to stand 10 minutes.
Pour into warm, sterilised jars and seal.
When cool, label and date.
- The simplest method for checking for a good set is to place a saucer in the freezer so that it is very cold. Then when you think the jam is ready, place a little on the saucer and leave it until it cools down before running your finger through the middle of the jam, the surface should wrinkle and the jam should not run back and fill the track your finger has made.
- Use freshly picked, unsprayed sprigs of lavender from the garden. Do not buy them from a florist, as it is likely that they have been sprayed with pesticides, etc.
- Store in a cool dark place for up to 12 months.
- If using fresh flowers, double the quantity