This rich, caramel coloured aioli has an amazing sweet, garlicky flavour and is absolutely delicious. It is an amazing alternative to the traditional aioli on the French classic Aioli Platter and also pairs perfectly with with grilled vegetables, fish, chicken and meat. I made it to add to our Beef Carpaccio, it was a superb pairing.
- 200 ml mild-flavored extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large black garlic cloves peeled
- 1 large free range egg yolk
- 1 tbsp (20 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Murray River Pink salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place the egg yolk, garlic, mustard and lemon juice into the bowl of a small blender* and blend until they form a puree.
Begin by adding the olive oil in drops for the first third and then in a thin stream for the next third. The final third can be added a little more rapidly until you have a mayonnaise like consistency.
Taste, season with salt and pepper, and add a little more lemon juice if necessary.
- * I use a stick blender to make the aioli.
- Preferring a slightly acidic aioli, I tend to be a little heavy handed with the lemon juice.
- I use my homemade horseradish mustard instead of Dijon mustard.