Cherry Clafoutis (Clafoutis aux cerises)
Another “go-to” recipe. This delicious French Dessert is always a winner, easy to convert to gluten-free and it is quick and easy to make. I always have a supply of preserved cherries in the store ready to go.
- 500g fresh black cherries or 2 x 500ml jars of black cherries
- 6 eggs
- 185 ml of pure cream
- 185 ml milk
- 6 tbs caster sugar (plus extra for the pie dish)
- 6 tbs plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbs Kirsch
- Butter to grease the pie dish
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180˚ C.
- If using fresh cherries, remove the pips – a cherry pipper makes light work of this, but beware of the splatter! Place the cherries in a bowl, sprinkle with a tablespoon of the caster sugar. OR If using preserved cherries, just drain them, and place them in a bowl.
- Drizzle over the Kirsch, gently stir and set aside.
- Grease a 25cm (10 inch) pie dish liberally with butter, sprinkle in the extra caster sugar ensuring that the inside of the dish is coated with both butter and caster sugar.
- Blend the flour and remaining caster sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, milk and cream to the dry ingredients, and whisk to make a nice smooth batter.
- Spread the cherries in the pie dish and then pour in the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven 35 – 40 minutes, until golden and set.
- Serve at room temperature, dusted with icing sugar and with a little double cream on the side.
- For gluten free, simply add gluten free plain flour, or gluten free plain flour blend.
- You can also make this recipe using other fruits – blueberries, raspberries, pears, peaches, prunes, etc.