I was asked to prepare the coleslaw to be served at the Banquet for the 2017 Shakespeare Festival in nearby Stratford, but they needed quantities for approximately 120 people! I used my mum's recipe for the dressing. The salad was served alongside orange glazed leg ham , baked potatoes and a root veg bake.
- 1.2 kg cabbage thinly shredded
- 170 g red onion thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots 220g, grated
- 2/3 cup celery 100g, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp reshly ground black pepper
Combine the cabbage, onion, carrot and celery together in a large container, and mix well. Sprinkle the raw sugar over the vegetables.
Place remaining ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
Pour over salad, and cover immediately. Allow it to cool slightly and then refrigerate for 24 hours.
Just before serving toss the salad, check the seasoning and adjust, if necessary.
Arrange in a serving dish and serve.
- Ensure that the container you are using has a lid to cover the salad while it is marinating.
- You may need to drain some of the dressing from the salad prior to placing it in a serving dish.
- You can replace the red onion with white onion if you wish.
- The method used in this salad is more like that for a quick pickle, making it the ideal prepare ahead salad for large numbers.
- I have made much smaller quantities and served the salad after only an hour or two of marinating, it was still delicious.
(Updated 22 August 2023)