Tod Man Goong (Thai Prawn Cakes)
These fantastic little patties, are packed full of flavour and a Thai Banquet in our home would not be complete without them.
- 300 g green prawn meat
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 10 g coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Maggi seasoning sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- 40 g minced pork fat or lard
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Sweet plum sauce (to serve)
- Mince the prawn meat and lard/pork fat.
- Combine with remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Form into small patties.
- Coat in breadcrumbs and place on try in fridge for half an hour or longer if possible.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve hot with sweet plum sauce, separately.
- If you don’t have plam sugar you can use soft brown sugar as an alternative.
- For a gluten free option, ensure that the oyster sauce is gluten free, and use gluten free tamari and seasoning sauce, as well as gluten free bread crumbs. Also ensure that the plum sauce is gluten free.
- Adapted from’Thai Country Cooking from Laguna Beach Resort’ (2002) p35.
- You can substitute minced white fish meat for the prawns, the dish is then called Tod Man Pla.
- These make a wonderful dish to share as part of a Thai Banquet, equally, served with a green mango or pawpaw salad, they make a delicious entree or main course.