This has to be one of the simplest recipes for asparagus using just a few good quality ingredients. It makes a delicious light entree or a wonderful appetiser to enjoy with a nice cool drink on a warm evening.
Category: Appetizer, Entree
- 1 egg
- 2 bunches of very fresh asparagus
- 2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place your egg into a pan of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove the egg from the pan and immerse it in cold water for one or two minutes before peeling it.
Meanwhile, bend the asparagus until the tough bottom ends snap off - discard the end.
Bring another pan of water to the boil and add the asparagus spears. Cook for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
Drain and arrange on individual serving plates.
Drizzle over the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Using a course grater, grate a little hard boiled egg over the asaparagus.
Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- If serving as an appetiser, plate on a large serving plate for people to help themselves from.
- If the asparagus spears are quite thick, they may take a little longer to cook.
- You could add a little salt to the water for the asparagus if you wanted to.