Mrs Collins's Pavlova
This is a recipe my sister has been making for more than 40 years, it was given to her by her mother-in-law.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp vinegar
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/3 cup of the caster sugar and beat until dissolved.
- Gradually add remaining caster sugar, beating well after each addition.
- When sugar is dissolved, add the vanilla and vinegar, and beat for another minute – only to combine. The mixture will be thick.
- Line tray with baking paper and dust with cornflour.
- Spread mixture into a disc shape.
- Bake in a very slow oven 125°C for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the oven off and leave the door ajar until cold.
- Carefully remove the pavlova from the paper and then, again, carefully, place a large plate over the pavlova and invert it onto the plate.
- Cover with lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh fruit of your choice.