Pasta with Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Fresh Herbs, Tuscan Salami and Crunchy Garlic Breadcrumbs
A recipe born from a glut of broccoli!
Quantity: 4 people
- 360 g dry or 440 g fresh pasta
- 20 g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g Tuscan salami cut into thin julienne
- 2 tbsp finely diced French shallot
- 4 tbsp garlic greens or 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets chopped (optional)
- 2 bunches of purple sprouting broccoli chopped (see note below)
- 1 cup of baby broccoli leaves optional
- 4 tbsp verjuice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper to season
- Sea salt to season
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp baby capers rinsed
For the crumb
- 6 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp butter
Cook your pasta according to the packet instructions.
Meanwhile place a large frying pan over medium heat and add the olive oil, butter, salami and shallot and sauté until the shallot softens.
Add the garlic greens, anchovies and chopped broccoli and cook stirring for 4 – 5 minutes.
Add the verjuice and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Drain the pasta and add to the broccoli mixture together with the parsley and toss through.
Season with salt and pepper and divide between four serving plates.
Sprinkle with parmesan and top with the crunchy garlic breadcrumbs, and finally scatter over the capers.
To make the crumb:
Preheat the oven to 200˚ C / 400˚F (fan).
Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the crumb mix evenly on the lined tray. Dot the crumbs with the butter and bake 5 – 10 minutes until the crumbs are nice and crispy. Set aside
Combine the thyme leaves, breadcrumbs and crushed garlic together.
- Chop the purple sprouting broccoli into small pieces of approx 1 – 1.5 cm (1/2 inch) for the florets and 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) for the stem. You will need 2 cups altogether.
- Place a dish with a little extra grated parmesan and another with any left over crumbs on the table for people to help themselves.
- If you do not have Purple Sprouting Broccoli, you could use or broccolini.