I cannot believe how simple they are to make friands! This is my basic friand mix to which I add whatever fruits and/or flavours that I feel like at the time.
Style: Gluten Free
Quantity: 12 Friands
- 6 egg whites
- 180 g butter melted
- 125 g almond meal
- 250 g pure icing sugar
- 75 g gluten free flour blend (See link below for recipe.)
Preheat oven to 200˚C
Grease 12 x 1/2 cup capacity friand or muffin tins.
Sift the flour and icing sugar into a basin and add the almond meal, stir to blend together.
Place egg whites in a medium bowl and lightly whisk with a fork until combined (do not over whisk).
Add the dry ingredients and, using a wooden spoon, mix to combine.
Gradually add the butter and mix gently until just combined.
Leave mixture to stand for 30 minutes (if time permits).
Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Leave the friands to stand in the tins for 5 minutes before turning them onto a wire rack to cool.
Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- You can add your own flavouring to the mix, vanilla, lemon or orange zest, fresh fruits such as berries, or soft fruits, cooked apple, flaked almonds, whatever your fancy.
- I layer the fruit in between layers of the mix and have a little peaking through at the top.
- Of course you could make these using normal plain flour if you do not need to follow a gluten free diet.
- Links: Gluten Free Flour Blend