Braised Chicken with White Wine and Tomatoes, or Pollo in Potacchio, is a delicious Italian dish prepared with a few simple ingredients.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary plus 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 125 ml white wine
- 400 g of good quality tinned tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
Preheat your oven to 200˚C.
Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof pan over medium-high heat.
Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes each side, until golden, then add the garlic, oregano and finely chopped rosemary, and cook for another 2 minutes.
Pour in the white wine and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly reduced, then add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
Tuck the two sprigs of rosemary in amongst the chicken, cover the pan with a lid and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook the chicken for a further 10 minutes.
Serve hot with crispy roasted potatoes with rosemary.
- I used a jar of home preserved cherry tomatoes in tomato puree from the larder.
- You can use chicken marylands, chicken thigh fillets, chicken thighs and/or drumsticks with skin on or off, as you choose.
Feature image shows the dish made with chicken maryland, served on a bed of creamy mashed potato with chives, and steamed greens.