Mum's Lamb Hot Pot with Peas
This is my idea of comfort food from home, one of the dishes my mum used to prepare, and we all loved it.
Category: Main, Main Course
Keyword: Carrot, Hot Pot, Lamb, Peas
- 1 large onion chopped
- 500 g lamb shoulder cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 tbsp plain flour for gluten free option see note below
- 60 g butter
- 450 ml lamb or chicken stock
- 250 g carrots chopped
- 1 x 400g can of peas see note below
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley to garnish
Preheat oven to 160˚C.
Toss the lamb in the flour.
Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Fry the lamb, carrot and onion in the butter for 3 minutes.
Stirring, add the stock and liquor from the peas.
Season to taste, bring to boil and stir until thickend.
Transfer to a casserole dish, cover with the lid and cook in preheated oven for 2 hours, adding the peas for last 15 minutes.
Garnish with parsley.
- This recipe needs canned peas, not fresh or frozen, and you will need to ensure that the canned peas are not "mushy" peas.
- While Mum used diced lamb, I have also used lamb neck chops as well.
- For gluten free:
- I sautée the lamb and remove to casserole dish, then sautée the onion and carrot, add the stock and add that to the casserole dish.
- To thicken, I add a slurry of potato flour and water about 5-10 minutes before it is done, the liquid will be bubbling, and by stirring it through for a minute, then replacing the lid and returning the dish to the oven, it cooks perfectly.
- Perfect sides for this dish:
- Mashed potato
- Steamed cabbage
- Steamed pumpkin