Spiced Oranges & Dates with Greek Yoghurt Cream
This simple little dessert is the perfect way to finish a meal. It can be prepared ahead - adding the Yoghurt Cream and pistachios just before serving.
- 6 large navel oranges
- 6 fresh dates, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbs pure icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 55 g (1/3 cup) pistachio kernels, coarsely chopped
For the Greek Yoghurt Cream
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 125 g light cream cheese
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 1 tsp pure icing sugar
- To make the yoghurt cream, place the yoghurt, cream cheese and honey in a bowl. Use a small sharp knife to scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until combined. Place the cream and icing sugar in a bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Fold into yoghurt mixture. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- Cut top and base from each orange. Use a sharp knife to remove skin and white pith. Holding each orange over a bowl to catch any juice, cut along either side of the white membranes to remove orange segments.
- Combine orange, dates and mint in a bowl. Sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon. Toss to combine.
- Divide fruit among serving plates and serve with pistachios and yoghurt cream.
- Garnish with sprigs of mint.
- My sister Jan passed this recipe to me, she received it from her friend, Mandy, who found it in Australian Good Taste – September 2011, p.80 .
- Allow 2 hours chilling time.