Moroccan Style Carrot Soup
Created for the Bard's Banquet, 2018 Shakespeare Festival, Stratford.
Style: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Keyword: Carrot, Morroccan, Soup
Quantity: 1 litre
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 125 g chopped brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic approximately 2 grams
- 500 g carrots cut into 1½ - 2 cm pieces
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups water
- 2 Massel chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- sea salt to season
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
Melt the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute gently until soft, add the garlic, cumin and coriander and saute for 2 minutes.
Turn the heat to medium-high and add the carrot, ginger and white pepper and stir to combine.
Add the water and stock cubes and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to simmer, cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer until the carrots are very tender (20-30 minutes).
Remove from heat and puree in batches in a blender until smooth.
Return to a clean pan and stir through the maple syrup, lemon juice and allspice.
- Massel stock cubes are gluten free and vegan.
- I like to serve this soup with a little yoghurt and cumin salt on the side, allowing each person to add according to their taste.