My mum has been telling me about Nana’s potato salad for the last few months, and with the oranges on hand, I called and got the recipe… It was boiled potatoes, diced; orange, diced; white salad onion, finely diced; and the dressing was the only dressing I knew when I was growing up – cream, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Of course there were no quantities given. Mum and I chatted a little and I told her I planned to change the dressing, add fresh herbs and use some different potatoes – she wants me to let her know how it went.
A delicious, refreshing salad of potatoes, oranges and fresh herbs.
Nana Mac's Potato and Orange Salad
This recipe was inspired by my grandmother's recipe for potato salad.
- 250 g Purple Avon potatoes (or similar)
- 250 g Sebago potatoes (or similar)
- 4 oranges
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1/3 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 handfulls of baby rocket
For the dressing
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sugar, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint
- 1 tsp finely chopped chives
- Peel the potatoes and place into a saucepan. Cover with cold water and add a little salt. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until just tender.
- Meanwhile cut top and base from each orange. Use a sharp knife to remove skin and white pith. Holding each orange over a bowl to catch any juice, cut along either side of the white membranes to remove orange segments and set aside. Using your hands, squeeze the off-cuts of the orange over the bowl to get as much juice as you can from them, discard the off-cuts.
- Prepare the dressing by adding the mustard, white wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the juice and then whisk to combine, season with salt and pepper and add a little sugar if needed.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and cut them into wedges, while they are still hot. Add the potatoes, mint, chives and oranges to the dressing and, using your hands, gently toss to ensure the potatoes and oranges are well coated in the dressing and herbs. Set in the fridge to cool.
- Just before serving, drain any excess dressing from the salad into a small bowl, add the remaining tablespoon of olive and whisk together. Add the rocket and toss to coat with the dressing.
- Place half the rocket into the base of a serving dish.
- Add the remaining rocket to the salad, and, again, using your hands, gently toss through.
- Arrange the salad on top of the rocket in the serving dish and scatter with the finely chopped mint and chives.
- Purple Avon potatoes are a purple fleshed potato.
Until next time…