Tarte Chantilly aux Fruits Rouge - Berry and Cream Tart
I found this recipe in a French magazine a few years back, it is so easy to make and there are never any left overs!
- 50 g almond meal
- 150 g sponge fingers
- 25 g icing sugar
- 100 g butter, plus 25g for the pie dish
- 500 g fresh berries
- 20 cl cream
- 2 tbs icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20 cm flan tin with butter.
- Reduce the sponge fingers to crumbs in a food processor.
- Mix with the almond meal and 25g of icing sugar.
- Add the melted butter and mix.
- Press the mixture into a greased flan tin.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Clean the fruit and cut the larger pieces into quarters.
- Put the cream, together with 1 tbs of the icing sugar and the vanilla into a bowl and whip until it forms soft peaks.
- Spread the cream in the tart base, cover with the berries and dust with the remaining icing sugar.
- Remove the tart from the mould and serve.
- Sponge fingers are also known as Savoiardi or ladies fingers. You can purchase them from supermarkets and delis.
- This dessert is easily made gluten free, you just need to purchase gluten free sponge fingers, or make your own.
- The tart also works well with crème pâtissière and don’t feel as if you can only use berries, try other fruits too!
- From Cuisine Actuelle, October 2011, No 250, p51