As I was preparing the food for a late New Years Day lunch to share with Christopher and Olivia, I noticed a dragonfly caught in the web of a spider just outside the kitchen window. I continued the preparations but after they had left to return home, my mind went back to the poor dragonfly, so I went back to investigate. Upon close inspection there appeared to be a little movement, so found a thin bamboo skewer and very gently removed the delicate creature from the holds of the web!
Once removed, I, with unusually steady hands, worked to try and remove as much of the web as I could – I was so afraid that I would hurt or damage the delicate creature! Eventually, hoping that I had done enough to give it a chance of survival, I took it to the lemon scented geranium just outside the back porch, and placed it on a little cluster of leaves.
I returned several times and make sure it was OK, but it appeared that it could not move from where I had placed it!
Carefully I removed the tiny creature from the leaves and brought it back inside, where upon closer inspection there appeared to be tiny pieces of web still attached, and the web was acting like glue!
Finally, with patience, a careful hand, and time, the lace like wings started moving with much more freedom, and its fragile legs no longer appeared to stick to anything.
With hope I moved the tiny creature to a windowsill, and with great delight, I watched as it flew away.
This morning I asked, was it a dragonfly, so a little research, and I think maybe it is a damselfly rather than a dragonfly.
Until next time…