Asparagus, Cheese and Shallot Tart
Category: Savoury Pies & Tarts
Quantity: 4 Serves
- 1 quantity of Savoury Potato Pastry
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 10 thick asparagus spears split in half
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
Roll out pastry and line the tart tin. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 200˚C
Cover the pastry with baking paper and weight using rice, dry beans or ceramic pastry beads.
Bake for 12 minutes then carefully remove the paper and weights and bake for another 10-12 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool.
Again, preheat oven to 200˚C.
Heat the oil in a small pan and gently sautee the shallots until they are soft.
Add eggs and cream to a jug or small bowl and season with salt and pepper, then whisk them all together.
Spread the shallots in the base of the tart and sprinkle with two-thirds of the cheese.
Trim the asparagus to fit lengthways and lay over the shallot and grated cheese.
Place the tart in the oven and carefully pour in the egg mix (prevents any spillage between the bench and the oven). Grind over a little black pepper and bake for 20 minutes, until just set.
Serve at room temperature.
- Link to recipe for Savoury Potato Pastry - Gluten Free
- Don't throw away any off-cuts from the asparagus. Freeze it to add to other asparagus and make asparagus soup.
- I use any suitable cheese that I have on hand, often a blend which may include some of the following: cheddar, a little parmesan, some mozzarella, gruyere, swiss...