The Vegie Patch

In the Garden – May 2021

As Autumn drew to a close, work was underway to recover the veggie patch and get a few plantings done.  Beds were prepared, root veg seeds planted along with broad beans and garlic.  Self sown lettuce were moved into a neat little row and rocket and silverbeet seedlings, raised from seed sown in recycled cherry tomato and strawberry punnets, were added.  The garlic was up in no time.  The broad beans finally poked through the mulch, but as for the root veg, they were mown down overnight by snails and/or slugs!  I was left feeling very despondent…  But it wasn’t the end of the world and I just decided to leave the bed to rest through the winter so it will be ready for planting in the spring.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Raspberries continued to delight me, providing an occasional handful of fresh berries to be used to create little sweet treats in the kitchen.  They are packed with so much flavour, so it is very easy to make a little go a long way.

Finally, we have a Vegie Patch!

(5 December 2016)

After a couple of mamoth days the Corner Patch can actually be called a Vegie Patch!While we were both exhausted, we are both really pleased with the end result and all being in order, are looking forward to enjoying the fruits of our labour for many years to come. The fun now begins with planting up the beds, nurturing the seeds and seedlings into food for our kitchen and store, family and friends.

Just a recap on how we got to this stage:

  • Trees were cut down, cut up and removed.
  • Stumps were dug out
  • Plans were drawn up
  • 31 fruit trees were planted
  • A slab was put down for the garden shed
  • The garden shed was erected, and everything that belonged in it, relocated accordingly
  • Holes were dug for posts
  • Posts were purchased and concreted in
  • Holes drilled in the posts
  • Wires strained accordingly
  • An old gate that we found behind the garage was cut down and given a lick of paint before being hung.
  • Timber and pegs for the garden beds arrived
  • A bit of creative use of old posts, rescued from the pens on our family farm, before it was sold, have been put in place to stop the beautiful Duchess (border collie) from entering.
  • Careful measuring, cutting, nailing and screwing of timber into place to box each bed.
  • A mountain of soil was moved from one place to another and finally into each of the boxed beds.
  • Well rotted manure worked in
  • Seeds sown in anticipation
  • One inexpensive archway erected to train fruit trees over the entrance

Left to do:

  • Plant out the seedlings.
  • Plant seeds
  • Espaliering of the fruit trees
  • Three inexpensive archways to be erected, one more for the fruit trees over the entrance and two for the runner beans to trail up and over.

We have a gate!

(24 November 2016)

The work continues on the corner patch, it is now fenced and has a gate. We’re still waiting for the timber to box the beds, but hopefully it will be ready next week! I have managed to get a few things planted though, including a Boysenberry.


Almost there…

(20 November 2016)

Blueberries and Mulberry planted

(17 November 2016)

Mulberry and Blueberries in place

Getting ready to espalier…

(15 November 2016)

The posts have finally arrived and Gary is hard at work getting them in place.

Meanwhile I am starting to put some frames up for some vertical gardening.




Our first three strawberries….

A Shed for Gardening Stuff

(21 October 2016)

Mirabelle Plum

(4 September 2016)

Did I really need another fruit tree given that we had just planted 31!  Of course, I did…  The Mirabelle Plum is used primarily for cooking.  I first tasted this little delight some years agoon our first trip to France –  it is absolutely delicious in desserts and preserves.  In size, they are not much bigger than a cherry, they are a small, very sweet and fragrant, yellow plum that is grown in abundance in  France. A true heritage plum  – first recorded in France in 1675.


It finally arrived by post – my treasured Mirabelle Plum

31 fruit trees planted

(26 August 2016)

With a break in the weather, it was time to do a stocktake…

(16 July 2016)

dsc03770-rI think we have a lot of work ahead of us!

Let the planning begin…

(9 July 2016)

Now that my amazing husband has cleared the way, it is time to start planning the corner patch!  His next job was to draw a plan of the space for this to begin.  Now he just doesn’t go and make a rough sketch.  He set up a table in the garden, initially using a smaller piece of graph paper, once he had all the details, he then set to on a much larger piece of graph paper, drawing a “to scale” plan of the area that is to become “The corner patch”.


Clearing the way

(4 July 2016)

Now that m











Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.