Massaman Curry Paste
This paste is used to make the delicious recipe for Thai Massaman Curry with Beef.
Quantity: 1 cup
- 4 large dried red chillies
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 3 shallots chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 - inch piece fresh galangal chopped finely
- 2 lemongrass stalks white part only, chopped finely
- 4 fresh coriander roots
- 2 cloves
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- seeds from 3 cardamon pods
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- vegetable oil
Remove and discard the chilli stalks. Cut the chillies in half and remove and discard the seeds
Place the chillies into a bowl. Cover with hot water and set aside to soak for 15 minutes. Drain and roughly chop.
Dry-fry the shrimp paste for 2-3 minutes, turning once or twice. Set aside.
Dry fry the cloves, coriander, cumin, cardamon, and peppercorns over low heat, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes, or until aromatic. Transfer to a mortar and pestle.
Carefully crush the spices with the pestle and then add the shallots, garlic, galangal, lemongrass, coriander roots, chillies and salt, and pound to a smooth mixture, adding a little vegetable oil if needed.
- The paste can be refrigerated for two weeks, or frozen for two months.